The data center and the equipment in it is a Web host's most valuable asset. In fact, when you order Web hosting, you are really renting a space in the data center whether it's on a shared or dedicated server. Your Web site only functions as it should if the data center equipment functions as it should.
To determine the quality of the data center, find the answers to these questions:
- What type of equipment does the Web host use?
- Does it have redundant power supplies to protect against power failures?
- How often does it check the backup power generators?
- How do people gain access to the servers?
- How are the servers monitored?
- What protections are in place for fires, floods or other disasters?