The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) applies to any organization that stores, processes, or transmits credit or debit card information. Its purpose is to ensure that credit/debit card information and transaction information is kept safe at all times. PCI sets standards for encrypted transmissions, vulnerability scans, logical and physical access controls, activity monitoring, and more.
The information provided below is only a summary of PCI requirements and does not replace a full review of the PCI compliance standards.
Hostway can help you address a sub-set of the 12 major requirements listed in PCI DSS.
Build and Maintain a Secure Network
1. Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect cardholder data
2. Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters
Protect Cardholder Data
3. Protect stored cardholder data
4. Encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks
Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program
5. Use and regularly update anti-virus software or programs
6. Develop and maintain secure systems and applications
Implement Strong Access Control Measures
7. Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know
8. Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
9. Restrict physical access to cardholder data
Regularly Monitor and Test Networks
10. Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
11. Regularly test security systems and processes
Maintain an Information Security Policy
12. Maintain a policy that addresses information security for all personnel